2017. augusztus 14., hétfő

Scrappy blue

This is my very first quilt to use my scraps. I was collecting them by color, and the blue and white started to overflow, so I decided to organise them. 

I had some little half squares from my Building Blocks BOM which were miscalculated, so I made little pinwheels and added a border. I aligned all small scraps to have 5"x5" sized squares. After cutting 5"x5" squares and different strips I took all 2.5 pieces to give a bigger border in dark blue for the light ones and used some whites for the dark ones. When I was putting it together I realised I do not even need my newly created little charm packs, I can save them for another project.


I only cut fresh white for the main border, the binding also came from scraps. The backing is some leftover from a fabric I bought to create a lego carpet for Andris. However, when I was checking my batting supply I realised it seems to be quite much but in practicd it is only little long pieces, so I had to buy some new one. The only good thing that there is a shop literally in front of our house, where I can buy them, so I got it quickly.

For this one I did some very basic stitch in the ditch for the main blocks, the quilting is yet to come. I am thinking some straight line, maybe doing it on different scale for each block to give some interest.

It was quite quick, took a week including organising the scraps not only for blues but reds and whites as well. Originally I wanted a rainbow scrap quilt but it turned out differently. Now I am thinking create a quilt in all colors:) 

Scrappy blue - own ideas

2017. július 18., kedd

Skill building BOM


I have worked a lot on the skill building BOM of Pile o' Fabric what I started last year, and finished the remaining blocks. These were the tricky ones: either some special technique, or some special material was needed for completion. The 2 big ones were supposed to be finished by hand - definitely not my strength, so I did the diamond with my Bernina. The hexagon was mostly stitched by hand, but the final finish was also done with my machine. I am always wondering when people say that they "do it by hand to have a nicer finish"...


This is the almost finished quilt, only final stitching of th 2nd and 3rd row and the binding is missing. I really like how it turned out, and only looking for a place to put it in the flat. It is a little too heavy to be a cuddly quilt, and a little too small for our king size bed. I was thinking to add the last framing part, but opted against it to keep it smaller (and finished :) ) Most probably it will be a wallhanging in our son's room, fits nicely with the colours and the size is right.

2017. június 11., vasárnap

Pomarium

I did not blogged for a long time, and in the meantime I did some stitching. As you can see there is some progress on Pomarium, and now I put her away to go back Winter Watergarden. It will take ages to finish these gardens, but I love them so! The actual colours are much nicer, it is a little dark, next time I will try to shoot a better one.



Chatelaine: Pomarium
Fonal/Floss: DMC + many silks as suggested in the kit
Anyag/Fabric: Zweigart antique white 32 ct Belfast

2017. június 4., vasárnap

Berci

I have a new nephew called Berci (Bertalan), and I made this littlequilt for him. It is 70x120 cm, fits into his bed perfectly. He likes it a lot, at least he is smiling when I am checking him under or over the quilt!
I took me a little bit longer than a week to finish, and I used all my fabric from stash. I found the picture on etsy with DiamondGardenQuilts, and I made a customised version for the little guy.



Owl quilt for Berci

2016. december 29., csütörtök

Pomarium launched

just before Christmas I started the Cloister Garden series from Chatelaine design, which are Pomarium (fruits), Herbularius (herbs), Tinctorium (dyes), and Rosarium (roses). I am not fully convinced I will do the roses, but the other 3 are beautiful, and since they are huge, they will occupy me for the upcoming years...
And antique white wins


Chatelaine: Pomarium
Fonal/Floss: DMC + many silks as suggested in the kit
Anyag/Fabric: Zweigart antique white 32 ct Belfast

2016. december 26., hétfő

Pomarium trial run on tea dyed fabric - Pear

After finishing Knotgarden series I am into Cloister Gardens (fruits, dyes, herbs, roses), and i was thinking taking a new background and try tea dyeing. I made a trial run for Pomarium fabric, this is my own dying. Despite the fact that the dying itself went well, I cannot imagine stitching 3-4 years on this colour, so I reverted to good old antique white for the whole piece. It took me a week to finish the Pear

Chatelaine: Pomarium - Pear
Fonal/Floss: DMC + many silks as suggested in the kit
Anyag/Fabric: Zweigart tea dyed antique white 32 ct Belfast

2016. október 16., vasárnap

Bag is ready

The course for bag making is over, I learnt a lot, got exhausted, and I am very happy with my new bag. Actually it is my mother's new bag, I realised I will not use it because I prefer bigger ones, but my mother was over the moon. And now I know zipper, inside pocket, handle, and all the little secrets of bag making!
I do not have a photo of the final one but I will make one next time!