Wednesday, July 24, 2019

New hobby: sewing clothes - Ranglan T-Shirt

I am always looking for good quality t shirts what I can use for work with my summer suits, and it is extremely difficult to find one what I like. Despite the fact that I am continuously looking the last one I bought 3 years ago, and even that one was not perfect. However, I have a favourite what I have found several years ago and still love - and now I am able to replicate it!
Ranglan t shirts - pattern copied by me from my existing one. Front, back, 2 sleeves, neckline. xx cm of xxx


The trial version is on the right, I bought some cheap stretch material in the discount chain "I love fabric" - it was a perfect base to start with. I have learned to cut stretch ( pin pattern to fabric, cut around ), and also to use sergers to finish seams on stretch. I also tried double needles, because in the class there is no coverstitch machine. I still have to master finishing the neckline, because something still amiss...
I was also hunting for good quality fabric, because most of the fabric is extremely lightweight. But I managed to get some real good ones in a little fabric store on Vaci street next to Nyugati, and quickly bought 3 meters to be on the safe side :). (white, 70% cotton 30% elastan, 3000ft)
The learning curve of my serger use is steep and still ongoing:  how to change between lock and coverstitch, how to use differential feet for stretchy materials. I am still looking for good balanced coverstitch, it is too tight I think. But at least I learned to thread the machine - I have rethreaded and least 10 times...
Update: I went to the shop to see what to turn where, and the secret is the differential feet - it should be 2, and the stitch length should be 3 or 4. I will try this setting, I hope it helps!

No comments: