Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Fabric shopping

It was quite a long time ago that I have bought any fabric (I have more than enough), but I realised that I am out of some essentials, so there I went. I needed some solids for the Round the Year circles, some white to do the choice of my niece and some roses for my mother's rose quilt, and some wood for the Winter Maize. I have added a newspaper print because I liked it a lot. 

It seems quite a few pieces, but actually it is quite a lot, almost 15m:

  • 3+3x1m of whites (2 cream based, 2 white-white)
  • 3x1m of roses 
  • 2x0.5m light blue
  • 1m royal blue
  • 0.7m steel
  • 2m dark blue
  • 0.5m wood
  • 0.5m newsprint (actually some French dictionary print)
I also bought 5m of normal batting (550), and 2m of special called gloves batting (700)

At the end it turned out there was a "slight" communication gap concerning my mother's quilt - she chose the small rose fabric from my stash because she liked the pink background not the flowers, and when she was talking about wanting a rose quilt she meant a pinkish one with flowers. But she was kind about it an said whatever I do will be nice anyway - so the bar is raised: it is even more difficult to come up with something!

In June I also went to Ikea to get some basic material. I really like their Bomull, because it is perfect for smaller backings - neutral color, unbleached, so an eco-friendly green choice, for an extremely competitive price. I got 3meters, and as an addition 2x0.5m of strong bad material from their season's design. Last time I bought Bomull it was in 2018, when I got 5meters, and I just used up the last pieces this year for the strings of the masks I made.

All together it is 19m of new textiles and 7m of batting, what I got in in 2020. I am always trying to buy less fabric than I use in my finishes (7m this year...), but I never manage!

No comments: