Friday, May 29, 2020

Strolling along ready

A few weeks ago I have quilted and binded my Yoko Saito design, Strolling Along Path Of Green, but I did not posted it yet. Now I am showing it to you. It took quite a while, it was sitting on my couch almost for a year before I managed to convince myself to finish it. My main problem was how to quilt it. After a long contemplation I have opted for my usual organic design which gives a real nice texture.

Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Fall acorns are falling

Chatelaine: Autumn Watergarden
Fonal/Floss: DMC + many silks as suggested in the kit
Anyag/Fabric: Zweigart antique white 32 ct Belfast
Next to the chestnut there are some acorns

Saturday, May 16, 2020

Chestnuts in the Autumn Watergarden

Chatelaine: Autumn Watergarden
Fonal/Floss: DMC + many silks as suggested in the kit
Anyag/Fabric: Zweigart antique white 32 ct Belfast
I have finished the Chestnut branch in th Autumn Watergarden. There is a mirror image of the branch left, and the first quarter is done.

Wednesday, May 13, 2020

mask making

I was making masks also in April, but somehow I did not show it until now. I have a nice statistics:
14 for our family, 4 for my friends, 16 for my colleagues, 16 for our neighbourghs, and 10 for ourselves (wow, 60 altogether, not bad for a few evenings work...). There are colorful ones and simple whites, one for every taste:) I also made the strings in 2 sittings - it was quite tedious believe me! In case school restarts I have some orders from my nieces and son: we will see how it goes. We are lucky, because there are really a very few cases in Hungary, the early quarantine seems like working, so there is already talk of school in June.

The sizes are 6"x9", and since they are double layered, 1 metre of standard 42" cotton gives cc 15 masks. Sewing 60 means I used up cc 4m of my fabric, and the strings came on top, but they are usually from scraps of already cut, or a not quilting quality material, so it does not count.

Friday, May 8, 2020

Golden Gate

Chatelaine: Autumn Watergarden
Fonal/Floss: DMC + many silks as suggested in the kit
Anyag/Fabric: Zweigart antique white 32 ct Belfast

I have finished part 7&8 of the gate in my Autumn Watergarden. The scrollwork was quite difficult, both the pearl silk and the metallic gold tread-but the result worth the effort. There is only the corner motive left and the the 1st quarter of the garden is done. It is not as enjoyanle as Winter Watergarden was, but not too bad either.

There is one thing I have realised during stitching - my eyes are not as good as they were before. I had eyes like a hawk, and I started to realise it is deteriorating. I have a regular check each and every year in my yearly health check and the lady always said "still good, still good, but be prepared next year it will start to do down the hill"- this year she will be right! I still can see 36count linen without any magnifier, so it is not a life turning event, but I this is the first time I need to have a few seconds of adjustment prior to stitching. First proof I am closer to 50 than 40  - looks quite scary to writw those numbers down 😉

Sunday, May 3, 2020

Hanging bed for guineapig(let)s

My nieces have 2 guineapigs - or to be precise piglets, because they are only a few months old. My sister in law asked me to make a hanging bed for them to play with - I have St Magaret and her dragon to be the guineapig for the photo. The straps are adjustable, and I have added minky for further comfort.
All the materials came from the scrap baskets.

Scrappy Happy Dance

The scrappy quilt for my niece is ready, binded with a colorful striped binding and it has a supersoft minky backing. It is a perfect quilt to curl up with a good book!

I used up mostly little scraps, an some half yard white material for the connecting pieces. The backing is one meter minky bought for this purpose.

Saturday, May 2, 2020

Autumn Watergarden Gate

I am working on Autumn Watergarden's first gate. It is quite tedious, but worth the effort, because it will be gorgeous. The golden thread between the mulberry has a complex pattern, I had to push myself to pick it up and finish, but I managed finally.

Friday, May 1, 2020

The day of Fixings

Today I had a Day of Fixings! 

I was collecting many small household things to fix in the last few weeks (months??? -I realised there was dust on them, maybe it is a sign...), and my sister-in-law also asked me to help repair the velcro in my niece's shoes. When the velcro busted in the umbrella on our terrace I also added that to the evergrowing list. 

I hate throwing away things which can be fixed. I have a rule: I try to fix everything once, second time it goes to the garbage, but I give one chance for all the things in the flat. 

So today I started to tackle them one-by-one:
  • Changed velcro in the umbrella to be able to keep it closed safely
  • Changed velcro in a pair of otherwise perfect running shoes
  • Fixed a pair of old but favourite jeans
  • Shortened my new pj's
  • Fixed a new t-shirt of my son who cut out the ticket and also snapped the thread which kept the pieces of the shirt together
  • Fixed a pair of torn gardening gloves
And all these took some 40 minutes...